Sunday, January 6, 2013

Breakfast Bagel Bun Sammies

Wow, where has the year gone?!? It's been forever since I've posted anything new. I've had a great year, new job, new adventures, but none of them in the kitchen, unfortunately. But this week, as fellow Ontarian Vegan Dad announced the end of his blogging activities, I realized I really missed getting creative in the kitchen and putting my recipes out there for the veg world to try out. And, I'm getting really sick of eating pre-made/frozen meals from the grocery store - thank goodness for husband and the nights I come home to a hot meal he's prepared. What's worse, is I really have no excuse..Vegan Dad = 4 vegan kids, wife in grad school, 3 book projects. Yeah, beotch, get off your lazy butt, cook something, and blog about it. Done.

Today was an especially productive morning, I'm trying harder to be more organized and part of that is prepping food on the weekend to ensure I have breakfasts and lunches during the week. Here's what I came up with: breakfast bagel bun sandwiches. There's a small coffee shop  on the ground level where I work, they make something similar. But, it's pricey, and the egg is some kind of weird "egg-like" product. Blech. No more.

Here's what I did...

1. Make a batch of this bagel dough (plain), but instead of shaping them like bagels roll out flat circles of dough, about 1/2" thick.

2. Rise, boil and bake as directed, but reduce the temperature to 410 degrees. Keep an eye on your "bagel buns" to make sure they don't overbake and dry out.

3. In the meantime, prepare your fillings. Make a large omelet of your choice, either with eggs/egg whites, or the yummy vegan from the Post Punk Kitchen. Include spinach or pan-fried veggies in your omelette if you like, and get out something saucy - pesto, for example, or give Erős Pista a try (Hungarian hot pepper paste, look for it in little euro speciality shops). Slices of this vegan Spicy Hickory Maple Seitan Bacon would totally rock. Grab your favourite cheese slices too!

4. If you're going to be wrapping up your breakfast sammies to store in the fridge, make sure your bagel buns, omelette and fillings are cool before you assemble them. Otherwise you'll wind up with condensation and the bagel bun will get soggy, gross.

5. Cut your omelette into the number of portions you're making. Carefully slice the bagel bun, smear your favourite spread on one half and start stacking up your fillings on the other.

6. Wrap up in plastic or foil wrap, and store in fridge. These last for days, but if you're picky like me, I won't eat anything that's been in the fridge more than 2-3 days  :-)

Keep up with Vegan Dad on his facebook page.

No comments:

Post a Comment